Welcome the kids back with meaningful fun
These 1st day of school activities will make back-to-school a breeze. Here's everything you need for a successful first day.
Download the sample to see all you get.
There are a total of seven PDF download files:
- Instructions, which include a few tips for using the “magic box” items (see below)
- A word search with a back-to-school theme and a scoring key
- A personal information worksheet so students can share important details to help you get to know them faster
- A fun writing prompt that will help you assess their writing skills
- A homework sheet for parents to fill out. It focuses on what they want you to know about their child.
“First day of school activity was perfect! The assignment was easy enough that my students could work independently.” ~ Nellie B.
Also, I include a simple way to get your students organized using my “magic box” approach. More details below…
Video: Using the first day of school worksheets
Getting your new students seated
In my system (included), different table groups are labeled with a different day of the week and kids draw out a slip of paper that tells them where to sit. I have my new students draw from a decorated purple box.
It's fun, the kids feel they are getting a little choice – and no other class is doing it. That makes my new students feel special before the first bell even rings! This packet includes:
- Magic box slips to draw
- Table tents that match the slips
Don't stress about what to do on the first day. Use these fun and purposeful items to get to know your new kids fast!