Teach “imagined narrative” with an easy-to-follow package
Your complete, step-by-step solution for teaching this critical component of fiction writing! This unit on Imagined Narratives is a guided write. You will teach the writing process over ten lessons, from introducing the concept through peer review and publishing.
You get everything you need in this packet:
- 10-step lesson plan that takes you through each part of the writing process
- Student packets for planning and resources
- PowerPoint: 40 slides that take you and your students through the process of understanding, writing and publishing an Imagined Narrative with examples
- Rubrics: a child-friendly rubric for self-scoring, a teacher rubric for assessing writing
- Plus a bonus: my Story Mountain poster and bulletin board kit (download the sample below)
Check out three previews to see every single page!
1. Download the lesson plan and student packet preview (top of page)
2. Click below to download the poster/bulletin board kit preview
3. Click below to download the PowerPoint preview
(Be patient – it's large and may take over a minute on a high-speed connection.)
Narrative writing tailored to your classroom needs
Grades three through six are expected to write narrative stories where students develop real or imagined events using effective writing. Students use details and clearly sequenced events to tell their stories.
That's the theory, anyway! However, students often struggle with writing fiction. They start a story with a great idea, but it ends up as something completely different in the end. I've boiled this process down to a formula to get students started. After the first time through this lesson plan, students get excited to take what they have learned and apply it to an independently-written, creative masterpiece.
Common Core Literacy Standards
- 3rd Grade: W.3.3, W.3.3a, W.3.3b, W.3.3c, W.3.3d
- 4th Grade: W.4.3, W.4.3a, W.4.3b, W.4.3c, W.4.3d, W.4.3e
- 5th Grade: W.5.3, W.5.3a, W.5.3b, W.5.3c, W.5.3d, W.5.3e
- 6th Grade: W.6.3, W.6.3a, W.6.3b, W.6.3c, W.6.3d, W.6.3e