Get students started on quality answers to reading prompts
I created this response sheet as a reference for independent student use. Many students get stuck as they respond to reading – they just aren’t sure what to write about.
Download the sample to see every prompt.
With this one-page tool, students can get started independently and keep track of which stems they use to respond so they aren’t using the same ones over and over.
This is appropriate for students who are reading chapter books – even as early as second grade. Each item on the list should be taught and modeled so students know what is expected in a complete response. I have used each as a mini-lesson.
Once students see/hear a few, they easily understand the depth that is expected. Higher level responses that are explained with details from the text become the standard – as opposed to simple recall of facts from the story.
Common Core Standards covered
- RL.2.1, RL.2.2, RL.2.3, RL.2.5, RL.2.6, RL.2.9, RL.2.10
- RL.3.1, RL.3.2, RL.3.3, RL.3.5, RL.3.6, RL.3.7, RL.3.9, RL.3.10
- RL.4.1, RL.4.2, RL.4.3, RL.4.5, RL.4.6, RL.4.7, RL.4.9, RL.4.10
- RL.5.1, RL.5.2, RL.5.3, RL.5.5, RL.5.6, RL.5.7, RL.5.9, RL.5.10
- RL.6.1, RL.6.2, RL.6.3, RL.6.5, RL.6.6, RL.6.7, RL.6.9, RL.6.10
- RL.7.1, RL.7.2, RL.7.3, RL.7.5, RL.7.6, RL.7.7, RL.7.9, RL.7.10
- RL.8.1, RL.8.2, RL.8.3, RL.8.5, RL.8.6, RL.8.7, RL.8.9, RL.8.10