Foundations of Effective Elementary Teaching
Whether you are starting on your teaching journey or just stopped by for some refreshers, welcome to Classroom Caboodle.
There's a lot to learn when it comes to being a successful elementary school teacher. That's why I have hundreds of pages on this website devoted to nearly every detail of your success, from classroom management to teaching lessons…plus lots of lessons and other products that will make you an effective educator.
Where should you begin?
With the pages and resources I've linked below. They'll get you off to a fast start, then you can explore other topics and products as needed.
Good luck! And thanks for stopping by Classroom Caboodle.
P.S. If you'd like some background on me, check out my About page.
P.P.S. Ask me ANY question! Seriously. You can get hold of my using my Contact page.
Teaching resource articles
The pages below form the core of my approach to teaching. You'll notice that it's heavy on classroom management topics; without effective behavior management and team building, effective teaching cannot occur.
- Foundations of Great Classroom Behavior - Great elementary classroom behavior is built on a foundation of understanding, expectations and follow-through. Your step-by-step guide to a dream class.
- Effective Student Behavior Consequences - The end goal of classroom discipline is to create students who can hold themselves accountable for their choices. How to use a "step-aside" process that makes this much easier.
- How to Set Elementary Classroom Expectations - Properly setting expectations is the foundation for elementary classroom management. Step-by-step through the process, from preparation to reminders.
- Elementary Classroom Discipline Case Studies - Whatever classroom discipline approach you decide on, it will be unique to each individual student. Let's review some case studies and together we'll see what response patterns emerge.
- Building Your Classroom Team - Every student wants to be picked to be on your classroom team, and teachers have a real leadership role to play when it come to including kids; here's how to make it happen for you.
- 3. Teaching Effective Lessons - Teaching effective lessons comes from following an intentional process. From mini-lesson to gradual release and individualizing, I show it to you step-by-step.
- Reviewing Standards: Repetition and Recall - Repetition is the magic key for getting students to recall and apply Common Core and other standards on high-stakes tests. How to make repetition effective and easy for kids.
- Creating an Effective Classroom Setup - Your elementary classroom layout starts with an effective teaching focal point and the rest flows from there. Here's how to set up yours for greatest effect. Plus tips on your teacher desk location.
Lessons and lesson planning
These are my cornerstone teaching products for effective lesson planning and delivery, covering the major subjects taught in elementary.